lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: discussion about release frequency.
Date Sat, 18 Sep 2010 18:59:02 GMT
On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, you have always claimed that as de jure, I think defacto is that
> it's part of the release. And the defacto is to follow the 'release to
> do' best as makes sense (I'm not sure the Solr release to do wiki always
> makes much sense). I've been waiting for the day that you release Lucene
> and drop all consideration for Maven as you have said you would likely
> do - but I think most of us feel it's pretty much on the list and this
> general agreement will free us of our conscious. I was ready to follow
> your coat tails to freedom, but this way lets me off easier I think.

Just my opinion: (personally i do not use maven, nor understand it).

If maven support is beneficial to bringing more devs to lucene, we should
consider what we can do.
But at the same time, perhaps Makefiles would bring more devs, too.

My problem with releasing with maven is that i could not honestly even +1 my
own release artifacts, because i don't know what the hell is going on with
the maven artifacts.

There has to be a way to let the "maven experts" take care of this stuff
somehow, if its really going to be beneficial.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com