lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: [Lucene-java Wiki] Trivial Update of "ReleaseTodo" by YonikSeeley
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:46:38 GMT
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2010, at 2:46 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

>>> While, yes, I will agree it is not official, it is the de facto standard by which
we have done releases and RM's have always worked to it.

>> I'd wager that there has never been a single lucene or solr release
>> that followed every single instruction to the T.  Which means that
>> people need to use their heads and understand that "many of the items
>> may be optional, or may be modified as necessary."
>>
>> You can't point at the guide as a *reason* to do something, only *how*
>> to do something.  If I knew someone would point to it and say "you
>> must do XYZ because it's on that HOWTO" then I would have vetoed most
>> changes to that page.
>
> As I have said for the 3rd time, of course I get that people need to be flexible and
there has always been an implied "use your head".  But, as I said, given you wrote it on
the heels of the discussion around Maven and that you think we shouldn't publish Maven artifacts,
I think it is clear you intend it to imply that the RM gets to chose what artifacts are released.
 Is that not the case?

IMO, the RM has no more power than any other PMC member.  But when
there are a lot of optional things on the list... I guess the
volunteers doing the work get to decide what parts they want to do.
The PMC as a whole gets to decide to release artifacts or not.

I am also re-asserting (as I have asserted in the past) that the Maven
artifacts are *optional*.
We've discussed maven not being mandatory before:
http://search.lucidimagination.com/search/document/bd618c89a4d458dc/lucene_2_9_again
http://search.lucidimagination.com/search/document/3b98fa9ec3073936

-Yonik