lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Bennett <mbenn...@ideaeng.com>
Subject Re: Relevancy, Phrase Boosting, Shingles and Long Tail Curves
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2010 17:44:31 GMT
Thanks Mark H,

Maybe I'll look at MLT (More Like This) again.  I'll also check out zipf.

It's claimed that Question and Answer wording is different enough for
generic text content that different techniques might be indicated. From what
I remember:
1: Though nouns normally convey 60% of relevancy in general text, Q&A
content is skewed a bit more towards verbs.
2: Questions may contain more noise words (though perhaps in useful
groupings)
3: Vocabulary mismatch of Interrogative vs. declarative / narrative (Q vs A)
4: Vocabulary mismatch of novices vs experts (Q vs A)

It was item 2 that I was hoping to capitalize on with NGrams / Shingles.

Still waiting for the relevancy math nerds to chime in about the log-log and
IDF stuff ... ;-)

I was thinking a bit more about the math involved here....

What is the "best practices" formula for determining above average
correlations of adjacent terms, beyond what random chance would give. So you
notice that "white" and "house" appear next to each other more than what
chance distribution would explain, so you decide it's an important NGram.

The "noise floor" isn't too bad for the typical shopping cart items
calculation.
You analyze the items present or not present in 1,000 shopping cart
receipts.
    If grocery items were completely independent then "random" level is just
the odds of the 2 items multiplied together:
        1,000 shopping carts
        200 have cereal
        250 have milk
    chance of
        cereal = 200/1,000 = 20%
        milk = 250/1,000 = 25%
    IF independent then
        P(cereal AND milk) = P(cereal) * P(milk)
        20% * 25% = 5%
        So 50 carts likely to have both cereal and milk
        And if MORE than 50 carts have cereal and milk, then it's worth
noting.
The classic example is diapers and beer, which is a bit apocryphal and NOT
expected, but I like the breakfast cereal and milk example better because it
IS expected.

Now back to word-A appearing directly before word-B, and finding the base
level number of times you'd expect just from random chance.

Although Lucene/Luke gives you total word instances and document counts,
what you'd really want is the number of possible N-Grams, which is affected
by document boundaries, so it gets a little weird.

Some other differences between the word-A word-B calculation vs milk and
cereal:
1: I want ordered pairs, "white" before "house"
2: A document is NOT like a shopping cart in that I DO care how many times
"white" appears before "house", whereas in the shopping carts I only cared
about present or not present, so document count is less helpful here.

I'm sure some companies and PHD's have super secret formulas for this, but
I'd be content to just compare it to baseline random chance.

Mark B

--
Mark Bennett / New Idea Engineering, Inc. / mbennett@ideaeng.com
Direct: 408-733-0387 / Main: 866-IDEA-ENG / Cell: 408-829-6513