lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: discussion about release frequency.
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2010 01:05:05 GMT
On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Chris Hostetter
<hossman_lucene@fucit.org>wrote:

> For example: we probably shouldn't bother having a release if the only
> thing commited to that branch since the previous release are to fix some
> typoes in javadocs, or because new tests were added -- those changes are
> good, and worth having, but too much proliferation of minor versions for
> things that don't impact the users can be distracting and confusion, and
> makes it hard to recognize when a release is worth upgrading too (it's a
> girl who cried wolf thing).

i completely agree with you. I didn't mean to give the impression by "every
month or two" that we should actually have anything remotely resembling a
schedule driven by arbitrary dates. I meant here to suggest a very rough
idea of the sort of frequency that I think might actually work, and to bring
up the point that what we might consider minor features can be viewed by
users as major.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com