lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: discussion about release frequency.
Date Sat, 18 Sep 2010 22:22:34 GMT
On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Ryan McKinley <ryantxu@gmail.com> wrote:

> To automatically test if the maven files work, we would need to run
> maven...  that seems like a non-starter for many people.

why is this a problem? I don't mind having maven installed and setup if i
can run 'ant test-maven' and do verifications on these things.
even if that involves simply forking a 'mvn' process externally.

> We could easily add a maven test project -- but for it to be 'real' it
> needs to use maven.  I'll happily volunteer to write it.

sounds great, i thought this was the idea here:

I mean, even during normal development, if there was an easy single command
i could run to verify i'm not breaking maven support, this would help,
especially when refactoring / moving things around / etc.
I wouldn't mind running this at all, to try to keep maven functional. I also
wouldn't mind debugging or even trying to figure out bits of maven until i
make it pass.

my problem is just that without any automated verification like this: maven
is just a big scary piece of code with no tests, and I cannot touch it!

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com