lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: missing "q" gives 500 error
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2010 18:33:45 GMT
On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Chris Hostetter
<hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:

> : Hitting http://localhost:8983/solr/select without a "q" gives a 500
> : error (it should at least be a 400 error - bad request).
>
> is this the same error as SOLR-2001?

Highly related.  It said there was an error for q=
(which we currently treat the same way as "null" to help out html forms)

> : Or, should we define the query parser such that if the query is null
> : that it yields a query that matches nothing (i.e. an empty boolean
> : query)?
>
> I don't think so ... that's what q.alt is for.

q.alt is for dismax.
What's wrong with matching no documents if no query is specified?
It's actually more consistent when someone tries to specify a
zero-length query (i.e. q=)

-Yonik
http://lucenerevolution.org   Lucene/Solr Conference, Boston Oct 7-8