lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: [Lucene-java Wiki] Trivial Update of "ReleaseTodo" by YonikSeeley
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:07:49 GMT
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> - ''Note: You need committer rights to create a new Lucene release.''
> + This page is to help a Lucene/Solr committer create a new release (you
> need committer rights for some of the steps to create an official release).
> It does not reflect official release policy - many of the items may be
> optional, or may be modified as necessary.
>
> I think putting this up on the wiki is a bad idea.  We should strive to have
> a repeatable release process.  By saying it is up to the person who happens
> to be doing the release is just asking for less quality in our releases.  If
> you don't think you can follow the release process, then you shouldn't be
> doing the release.  And, if we as a community can't define a repeatable
> release process, then we shouldn't have a release either.

Calling something that anyone can go and edit and add their best ideas
to "official" is silly.
It does not list iron-clad requirements - it is there simply to help.
That's pretty obvious by looking at the huge list of content on that
page.  I'd rather spend my time writing code and improving the
projects rather than engaging in bureaucratic exercises.

-Yonik