lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: discussion about release frequency.
Date Sat, 18 Sep 2010 20:12:05 GMT
On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Andi Vajda <vajda@osafoundation.org> wrote:

> For example, I recently did an experimental build of Tika for Python using
> JCC. Tika's Maven tricks pulled in a very large number - dozens - of
> dependencies that had I had to download and build them all by myself
> manually, I would maybe not have spent that time with Tika to begin with.
>
> Of course, Lucene is quite the opposite. Besides a JDK (and possibly ICU),
> it depends on nothing else. The need for Maven support is less obvious there
> too.

Well, this is of interest to us too I think. Because (though its not flushed
out) we are talking about possibly Lucene + Solr releases at the same time.

Solr has Tika integration, and even apart from that brings in other
dependencies too, much more than any lucene modules do.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com