lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: [Lucene-java Wiki] Trivial Update of "ReleaseTodo" by YonikSeeley
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:46:08 GMT
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sep 20, 2010, at 2:21 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> While, yes, I will agree it is not official, it is the de facto standard by which we
have done releases and RM's have always worked to it.

I'd wager that there has never been a single lucene or solr release
that followed every single instruction to the T.  Which means that
people need to use their heads and understand that "many of the items
may be optional, or may be modified as necessary."

You can't point at the guide as a *reason* to do something, only *how*
to do something.  If I knew someone would point to it and say "you
must do XYZ because it's on that HOWTO" then I would have vetoed most
changes to that page.

-Yonik