lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: discussion about release frequency.
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:30:00 GMT

On Sep 20, 2010, at 2:47 PM, Robert Muir wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>
> It's under the Solr area, not the commons CSV area.
>
> sure, but this doesn't answer the question. if other projects can do this same trick,
why do we need to do any maven at all? we can just let those that want maven support, provide
it themselves. Ultimately this would probably mean they do a better job of it anyway, since
they care about it working for their project to work.

Not following.  Joe Schmoe w/ project X doesn't have the right to go publish artifacts at
org.apache.lucene.XXX in the iBiblio repository.  And, in many cases, we may not have the
right to publish others, but for Apache projects, we can.  Otherwise, in the past, I've often
asked the dependency authors to produce them.  Most people will if it means they are getting
a wider distribution.  In practice, it rarely is an issue.

-Grant