lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: discussion about release frequency.
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 20:20:39 GMT

On Sep 20, 2010, at 4:15 PM, Robert Muir wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Because it's not authoritative.  How would our users know which one is the official one?
 By publishing it under the ASF one with our signatures we are saying this is our official
version.  We would never claim that the Solr Commons CSV one is the official Commons jar,
it's just the official one that Solr officially uses.  It's a big difference.   Besides, it's
not like the iBiblio repo is open to anyone.  You have to apply and you have to have authority
to write to it.  For the ASF, there is a whole sync process whereby iBiblio syncs with an
ASF version.  In other words, we are the only ones who can publish it to the same space where
it is currently published.

> This "authoratitiveness" comes with a significant cost, that is the complexity of maven
in our release process.  I'm not convinced its worth this cost, and before we decide to have
maven as part of the release, i'd like for there to be an actual vote.

I agree.  But, like I said, if those who want it step up and make it fully supported, then
there is no more cost than uploading a few extra artifacts, then what's the extra cost?  As
usual in open source, why don't we just leave it those who do the work?  If no one steps up
and fixes it, then it doesn't get included.

> Sorry to change my tone, but I was under the impression we needed a lucene committer
to do all this releasing work to support maven, it seems that this is not the case, and other
options are available.

I'm sorry, I don't see the other options.  I think it does need to be done by a Lucene committer
to be an official Lucene artifact.  OK, well, I suppose some other ASF person could do it,
but short of a benevolent volunteer to do so, I don't think there are other options.

-Grant