lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: discussion about release frequency.
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:46:50 GMT

On Sep 20, 2010, at 3:36 PM, Robert Muir wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Not following.  Joe Schmoe w/ project X doesn't have the right to go publish artifacts
at org.apache.lucene.XXX in the iBiblio repository.  And, in many cases, we may not have the
right to publish others, but for Apache projects, we can.  Otherwise, in the past, I've often
asked the dependency authors to produce them.  Most people will if it means they are getting
a wider distribution.  In practice, it rarely is an issue.

> right but why cant joe shmoe make joe.schmoe.luceneMaven.XXX in the iBiblio repository?
>
> At the end of the day, I'm trying to figure out if we can push maven "downstream" as
others have suggested, and it sounds like we can.

Why don't we just leave this as this:

Those of us who want Maven supported as part of the release need to get our stuff together
by the next release or else it will be dropped.  That means making sure the artifacts are
correct and easily testable/reproducible.  If we can't do that, then I agree, it should be
a downstream effort, at least until we all realize how many people actually use it and then
we revisit it at the next release.

-Grant