lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: discussion about release frequency.
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:43:27 GMT

On Sep 20, 2010, at 2:37 PM, Robert Muir wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Typically, this is done by adding the library in question to the release, renamed appropriately.
 For instance, in Solr, we had a trunk based version of Commons CSV at one point, so we put
it up w/ the Solr artifacts and had the POM reflect that.  But yeah, it can be a pain.

> I don't understand this, if I, as a lucene committer, can arbitrarily publish commons
CSV artifacts under maven, without being a commons CSV committer, then why does someone have
to be a lucene committer to publish maven artifacts?!

It's under the Solr area, not the commons CSV area.

> Furthermore, if this is possible, then why does lucene itself have to support maven,
if someone else (e.g. hibernate) can simply download our jar files and do the same?

> I'm not saying we have to support it, but, in my view, it's pretty hard to take back
a feature, admittedly only for some, that we have supported for a long time.

> I'm not sure we supported it, it seems to be a broken feature in nearly every release.

Nah, some times some pieces are broken, but the core one always works, AFAICT.  ;-)