lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: discussion about release frequency.
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:21:58 GMT

On Sep 20, 2010, at 9:00 AM, Mark Miller wrote:

>> (BTW, I love the "Maven is Magic" (and really any "It's magic, therefore I don't
like it") reasoning for not liking it, whereby everyone complains that b/c Maven hides a bunch
of details from you (i.e. it's "magic"), therefore you don't like it.  At the same time, I'm
sure said person doesn't understand every last detail of, oh, I don't know: the CPU, RAM,
the Compiler, the JDK, etc. and yet they have no problem using that.  In other words, we deal
with abstractions all the time.  It's fine if you don't get the abstraction or don't personally
find it useful, but that doesn't make the abstraction bad.)

>> -Grant
>
> Maven is not bad because it's magic - magic is frigging great - I want
> my software to be magic - it's bad because every 5 line program from
> some open source code/project that I have tried to build with it has
> gone on an absurd downloading spree that takes forever because it's
> getting many tiny files. This downloading spree never corresponds to the
> size of the code base I am working with, and always manages to surprise
> by the amount of time it can slurp up.

Agreed, but over time, it is lessened by the fact that you already have most common files/jars
and furthermore, you only have one copy of them instead of one under every source tree.  I
think, over time, you actually end up downloading less than with other approaches and that
even includes the downloads one gets when Maven upgrades itself.

I do, agree, though, that Maven makes you drink the Kool-aid and it doesn't play well with
other conventions (although it isn't horrible when it comes to Ant, either).  There are plenty
of days I hate Maven for what it assumes, but there are also many days when I love the fact
that the POM describes my project in one clear, fairly concise, "validatable" way.

> still think Maven should be a downstream issue.

I don't see how it can be.  You have to be a committer to push it to the ASF repository for
syndication on iBiblio, etc.  That being said, we really aren't that far from a process that
we can have confidence in.

-Grant