lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Lucene-java Wiki] Trivial Update of "ReleaseTodo" by YonikSeeley
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:16:43 GMT

On Sep 20, 2010, at 2:04 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Sep 20, 2010, at 1:07 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>>> It does not list iron-clad requirements - it is there simply to help.
>>
>> Again, I disagree.  Having done a number of releases, it would simply be impossible
without it

> Usefulness certainly does not imply "officialness" and certainly does
> not imply that everything on there is mandatory.
> We've never needed anything quote so iron-clad in the past - we were
> able to use our judgments to adapt as necessary.  And individuals went
> and updated that page with helpful things because no one was under the
> impression that anything there was binding.

Of course it makes sense for it to be updatable to reflect that things change, servers get
moved, ant targets get improved, but your message, on the heels of the Maven discussion, was
interpreted by me (and please correct me if I'm wrong) to presume that you are saying that
it is alright for the RM to decide what artifacts should be released.  So, if that's not the
case, then fine, I agree, but if it is, then no, I don't think this is the right message to
put on the page.  And it certainly isn't up to you alone to decide by placing it on the Wiki
as a "trivial" update.

-Grant