lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: discussion about release frequency.
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:30:43 GMT
On 9/20/2010 at 11:15 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> Unfortunately, LUCENE-2611 does not automatically generate IntelliJ
>> setup files - they are static, just like the POM template files.
>
> Hmm, hadn't looked that closely.  I'd say this is going to suffer the same
> fate of the POM template files then and would thus be against including
> it.

It's not quite as bad as the POM template files, since IntelliJ can be told to find all dependencies
in a directory, rather than explicitly naming every dependency, and LUCENE-2611 uses that
facility just about everywhere (I think the only exception is the JUnit jar test dependency,
since the other stuff in the same directory shouldn't necessarily be depended on during testing).

So the IntelliJ project files in LUCENE-2611 would continue to work without manual intervention
in the face of upgraded and/or additional dependencies, but would require manual effort to
sync up with structural changes.  While I don't agree that this is a deal-breaker, since the
manual intervention required would be fairly minimal, I agree that auto-generation would be
a lot more useful than the current static approach.

My thought process was that setting this up manually would provide a benchmark for auto-generation;
the auto-generated version should not be less functional than the manually generated one.

Steve