lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: discussion about release frequency.
Date Sat, 18 Sep 2010 21:08:22 GMT
On 9/18/2010 at 3:37 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:
> As an aside, I still think it is worth changing our dev builds from
> "-dev.jar" to "-SNAPSHOT.jar" so that the daily builds are
> automatically valid SNAPSHOT builds that are easy for maven/ivy users
> to work with.  (LUCENE-2493)  As is, maven users have to checkout and
> build with a special version to test/use a dev build -- since this is
> more work then many people want to deal with, we find problems with
> the maven pom files *after* the official release.

Shortly after LUCENE-2493 was created, I looked into the possibility of having Maven treat
*-dev.jar files as snapshots.  As far as I could tell, this is not a configurable item: snapshots
are named *-SNAPSHOT.jar - it's hard-coded in lots of places in the Maven code.  I like Maven,
but inflexibility like this makes it hard to get pre-existing projects to play nice with it...

Steve