lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: discussion about release frequency.
Date Sat, 18 Sep 2010 19:57:01 GMT
Last time I checked, maven artifacts have to be uploaded by a representative of the project.
 I.e. a committer.  Farming this out seems like a no-go (for good reasons). - Steve

From: Robert Muir [mailto:rcmuir@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2010 3:51 PM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: discussion about release frequency.

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Ryan McKinley <ryantxu@gmail.com<mailto:ryantxu@gmail.com>>
wrote:
As a maven user (not an expert by any means), the maven stuff in
3.x/trunk is actually pretty good.  Running:
 ant generate-maven-artifacts -Dmaven.dist.dir=maven -Dversion=4.0.rxxx
makes a folder (maven) with everything it needs.  This is *very* easy
for maven apps to test against.

which maven apps test these though? I have no way to know if things are correct.
see LUCENE-2268

What are the deploy steps that we are talking about dropping/changing?

anything having to do with maven at all.
i dont understand why we (apache) need to be involved? why cant someone who really knows maven
do this, and do it right?

since i have been around, it seems the "maven" is wrong in nearly every release[1] including
even bugfix releases.
if i am going to be the one making artifacts, i want them to be right.

[1]:
Lucene/Solr 3.x, 4.0: SOLR-2041, SOLR-2055
Solr 1.4.1: SOLR-1977
Solr 1.4: SOLR-981
Lucene 2.9.1, 3.0: LUCENE-2107
Lucene 2.9.0:  LUCENE-1927