lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: lia2 tests for branch_3x ?
Date Sat, 11 Sep 2010 16:52:21 GMT
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 06:21:03PM -0400, Michael McCandless wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:
>
> > Wouldn't be NOTICE.txt the right place for this?
>
> I think NOTICE.txt/LICENSE.txt is in order to reference the license of
> 3rd party sources when they are incorporated?

How is this material coming in to Apache?  Is it being "submitted directly to
the ASF by the copyright owner or owner's agent", in which case the following
applies?

    http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers

I had thought that was the case, but if not, then this applies instead and I
believe usage is more constrained...

    http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#3party

... though I'm not clear about exactly what the constraints are because the
license is ASL2.  If it were another license, then usage would definitely be
more constrained.

Regardless, NOTICE.txt isn't the place for a link advertising a book.

    http://markmail.org/message/cxwtnuys65c7hs2y (Roy Fielding)

    Hey, I'm all for people having opinions on development and credits and
    documentation. NOTICE and LICENSE are none of those. They are not open to
    anyone's opinions other than the copyright owners that require such notices,
    and they must not be added where they are not required. Each additional notice
    places a burden on the ASF and all downstream redistributors.

    If you put stuff in NOTICE that is not legally required to be there, I will
    remove it as an officer of the ASF.

> LIA2's source code is already ASL2, though it is "Copyright Manning" so
> probably we will need to also put an entry in NOTICE.txt/LICENSE.txt.

It would be nice if that were not the case, because of the burden on
downstream.  Why don't IBM, Lucid, Twitter, and so on insist on having their
copyrights put into NOTICE.txt?  Managing credit on a collective project like
this is really hard.  IMO, to be fairest to everyone it's best to avoid the
issue altogether whenever possible.

Again, this in no way diminishes the value of Manning's potential contribution
or our gratitude for it.  I just hope Manning understands why accommodating
their request perhaps isn't as easy as it might have seemed from the outside.

Marvin Humphrey