lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: lia2 tests for branch_3x ?
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2010 18:33:01 GMT
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 02:07:43PM -0400, Michael McCandless wrote:
> Marjan (CEO of Manning) likes the idea, but asks if we can put a
> comment at the top saying this came from LIA2 with a link the book's
> page at manning.com.  I think that's OK?  Any objections?

I'm glad that Manning is generally favorable, but I'm unsure about that.  It's
kind of like @author tags, which are discouraged and which Lucene has
agressively removed.  I guess since it's not a copyright it doesn't directly
violate this policy...

    http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers

However, where do the crediting comments begin and end?  What happens when
pieces of this file get refactored into other files, do the crediting comments
proliferate or disappear?  Shall I start including comments at the top of
files I submit crediting my employer?  How about every other contributor?

IMO, crediting in source code should be strictly limited to copyright and
licensing concerns; for everything else, credit belongs in version control and
the issue tracker.

Cheers,

Marvin Humphrey