lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl / Cominvent <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: discussion about release frequency.
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2010 07:39:41 GMT
From a users perspective, I would say that each one of FieldCollapse, AutoSuggest and SpatialSearch
would justify a minor release (once stable).

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

On 22. sep. 2010, at 03.05, Robert Muir wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Chris Hostetter <hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:
> For example: we probably shouldn't bother having a release if the only
> thing commited to that branch since the previous release are to fix some
> typoes in javadocs, or because new tests were added -- those changes are
> good, and worth having, but too much proliferation of minor versions for
> things that don't impact the users can be distracting and confusion, and
> makes it hard to recognize when a release is worth upgrading too (it's a
> girl who cried wolf thing).
>
> i completely agree with you. I didn't mean to give the impression by "every month or
two" that we should actually have anything remotely resembling a schedule driven by arbitrary
dates. I meant here to suggest a very rough idea of the sort of frequency that I think might
actually work, and to bring up the point that what we might consider minor features can be
viewed by users as major.