lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Pugh <>
Subject Does expungeDeletes need calling during an optimize?
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 20:46:41 GMT
Hi all,

I was digging into what exactly expungeDeletes means, and what it would during during an <optimize/>
call.  From my reading of the docs:
 we should either do an optimize or an expungeDeletes, but don't need to do both.  While DUH
has this behavior:

  if(cmd.optimize) writer.optimize(cmd.maxOptimizeSegments);
  if(cmd.expungeDeletes) writer.expungeDeletes(cmd.expungeDeletes);

It seems like DUH2 behaves the way I expected:

 if (cmd.optimize) {
      } else if (cmd.expungeDeletes) {

So would it make sense to update the wiki page to say the expungeDeletes only makes sense
as a commit parameter, not an optimize parameter?

Eric Pugh | Principal | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 |
Co-Author: Solr 1.4 Enterprise Search Server available from

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message