lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject passing required sub-scorers to BooleanScorer?
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2010 14:04:54 GMT
I noticed that the SubScorer in BooleanScorer is able to handle
"required" clauses, and spends some CPU confirming each hit matches
the required clauses.

Yet, BooleanQuery will never do so (it always uses BooleanScorer2 if
there are any required clauses).

And, if I assert !required in BooleanScorer, all tests pass... so it
really looks to be unused code.

Does anyone know the history here?  Did we used to have BooleanScorer
handle certain BQ's with required clauses?  (It seems likely it could
give better performance in many cases, eg when the freq of the 2
sub-queries are comparable).

Mike