lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Robert Muir (JIRA)" <>
Subject [jira] Assigned: (LUCENE-2620) Queries with too many asterisks causing 100% CPU usage
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 16:45:16 GMT


Robert Muir reassigned LUCENE-2620:

    Assignee: Robert Muir

> Queries with too many asterisks causing 100% CPU usage
> ------------------------------------------------------
>                 Key: LUCENE-2620
>                 URL:
>             Project: Lucene - Java
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: Search
>    Affects Versions: 3.0.1
>         Environment: Debian Lenny with Tomcat 5.5 and Mac OS X 10.6 with Tomcat 6, probably
>            Reporter: Nick Barkas
>            Assignee: Robert Muir
>         Attachments: lucene-asterisks.diff
> If a search query has many adjacent asterisks (e.g. fo**************obar), I can get
my webapp caught in a loop that does not seem to end in a reasonable amount of time and may
in fact be infinite. For just a few asterisks the query eventually does return some results,
but as I add more it takes a longer and longer amount of time. After about six or seven asterisks
the query never seems to finish. Even if I abort the search, the thread handling the troublesome
query continues running in the background and pinning a CPU.
> I found the problem in src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/ on Lucene
3.0.1 and it looks like 3.0.2 ought to be affected as well. I'm not sure about trunk, though.
I have a patch that fixes the problem for me in 3.0.1.

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message