lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>
Subject Re: Should analysis.jsp honor maxFieldLength
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 18:56:08 GMT
I did always think that the global maxFieldLength was odd.  In one project I have, 10,000 is
fine except for 1 field that I would like to bump up to 100,000, and there isn't (as far as
I know) a way to do that.  Is there any real negative effect to swapping to maxFieldLength
of 100,000 (with the caveat that the auto truncation won't be working!)?

The filter approach that you pointed out does make sense, the only worry I have is that it
might make building analyzers more complex.  One of the things I treasure about Solr is how
many decisions it makes for you out of the box that are right so very often, and therefore
how simple it is.  If every user needs to think about maxFieldLength from day one, then that
might make life more complex.

Eric

On Aug 24, 2010, at 2:44 PM, Robert Muir wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Eric Pugh <epugh@opensourceconnections.com> wrote:
> I created a patch file at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2086.  I went with
the simplest approach since I didn't want to confuse things by having extra filters being
added to what the user created.  However, either approach would work!

> One idea here was that this maxFieldLength might be going away: see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2295
for more information (though i notice its still not listed as deprecated?).

> But for now its worth mentioning: The filter is more flexible, for example it supports
per-field configuration (and of course if you use the filter instead, which you can do now,
it will automatically work in analysis.jsp).

Eric Pugh | Principal | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com
Co-Author: Solr 1.4 Enterprise Search Server available from http://www.packtpub.com/solr-1-4-enterprise-search-server
Free/Busy: http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal