lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Nick Barkas (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Created: (LUCENE-2620) Queries with too many asterisks causing 100% CPU usage
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 16:34:16 GMT
Queries with too many asterisks causing 100% CPU usage
------------------------------------------------------

                 Key: LUCENE-2620
                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2620
             Project: Lucene - Java
          Issue Type: Bug
          Components: Search
    Affects Versions: 3.0.1
         Environment: Debian Lenny with Tomcat 5.5 and Mac OS X 10.6 with Tomcat 6, probably
others
            Reporter: Nick Barkas
         Attachments: lucene-asterisks.diff

If a search query has many adjacent asterisks (e.g. fo**************obar), I can get my webapp
caught in a loop that does not seem to end in a reasonable amount of time and may in fact
be infinite. For just a few asterisks the query eventually does return some results, but as
I add more it takes a longer and longer amount of time. After about six or seven asterisks
the query never seems to finish. Even if I abort the search, the thread handling the troublesome
query continues running in the background and pinning a CPU.

I found the problem in src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/WildcardTermEnum.java on Lucene 3.0.1
and it looks like 3.0.2 ought to be affected as well. I'm not sure about trunk, though. I
have a patch that fixes the problem for me in 3.0.1.

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message