lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: instantiated contrib
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2010 23:35:00 GMT
I think that fits with its design goals.  It wasn't intended for a large number of docs like
RAMDir, more for the case where one might use MemoryIndex, but has more than one doc, but
not so many that you need a more compact representation.

-Grant

On Aug 26, 2010, at 4:11 PM, Earwin Burrfoot wrote:

> I meant exactly what I said. My opinion is that Instantiated puts more
> strain on GC compared to RAMDir. If that aspect is negligible for you
> (less docs, smaller heap) it quite probably runs faster, if not -
> after some point GC costs will dwarf any gains.
>
> 2010/8/26 Li Li <fancyerii@gmail.com>:
>> do you mean that InstantiatedIndex is not as fast as its document says?
>>
>> 2010/8/26 Earwin Burrfoot <earwin@gmail.com>:
>>> IMHO, Instantiated sucks GC-wise. Put more docs in it, do enough
>>> queries, and RAMDir eventually outperforms it.

>>> --
>>> Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко (earwin@gmail.com)
>>> Phone: +7 (495) 683-567-4
>>> ICQ: 104465785

> --
> Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко (earwin@gmail.com)
> Phone: +7 (495) 683-567-4
> ICQ: 104465785

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem docs using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search