lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Gora Mohanty <g...@srijan.in>
Subject Re: Solr for multiple websites
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:32:16 GMT
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:34:22 +0400
"Hitendra Molleti" <hitendra.molleti@itp.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> We have a news portal built on a CMS that heavily uses solr for
> indexing. Going ahead we will be migrating all our other portals
> to the same platform and are not sure how do we work with Solr
> for multiple websites.
>
> The options are:
>
> 1) Using multiple publications/indexes within solr for each site
> 2) Run one instance/schema of solr for all websites
[...]

Sorry, are you talking about using one Solr index vs. several, or
one Solr schema vs. several? You might well do the latter, but I
think that separate Solr indexes will be a significant improvement,
though one might use a separate Solr core for each index, rather
than a separate Solr instance.

We will soon be faced with a similar situation, and at the moment
are leaning towards separate indexes for separate sites, probably
with separate Solr cores. We will be doing some benchmarking on
this, but probably only in a few weeks time.

Regards,
Gora