lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Tomas Salfischberger (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Created: (SOLR-2085) SolrJ fails with a NullPointerException when the order of result components changes
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 12:47:17 GMT
SolrJ fails with a NullPointerException when the order of result components changes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                 Key: SOLR-2085
                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2085
             Project: Solr
          Issue Type: Bug
          Components: clients - java
    Affects Versions: 1.4
            Reporter: Tomas Salfischberger
            Priority: Critical


When using a custom search component in Solr I noticed that the order of the "params", "response"
and "facet_counts" fields in the response changed. Normally the "response" field is included
before the "facet_counts" field, but in my result it first returned "facet_counts" and then
"response". This is of course a valid and semantically identical result object, but it causes
SolrJ to fail with a NullPointerException.

The reason for this NPE is that SolrJ in org.apache.solr.client.solrj.response.QueryResponse.setResponse(NamedList<Object>
res) uses a loop through the response components and right after encountering "facet_counts"
calls extractFacetInfo( _facetInfo ). That method uses _results which is null if the "response"
component has not been encountered yet. (It is handled and set a few lines above the call
to extractFacetInfo).

The solution is to move the call to extractFacetInfo() on line 99 out of the for-loop. Please
see the attached simple patch for the solution.

I have also checked the three other initialization calls that are made directly after encountering
a result (extractDebugInfo, extractHighlightingInfo and extractSpellCheckInfo), the problem
does not apply to those because the methods don't access global fields that need to be initialized.

Note: It would be great if this could be applied to a maintenance release as it saves people
from running a custom build to be able to use complex search components with SolrJ.

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message