lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Hitendra Molleti" <>
Subject RE: Solr for multiple websites
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 06:54:19 GMT

Thanks for your reply.

Well, that is the dilemma currently we have, should we go for multiple Solr
indexes for each site or separate schema for each.

Not sure which is the best practice and more reliable solution.

With Distributed indexing I believe there are few limitations:

> Distributed Searching Limitations
>    * Documents must have a unique key and the unique key must be stored
>      (stored="true" in schema.xml)
>    * The unique key field must be unique across all shards. If docs with
>      duplicate unique keys are encountered, Solr will make an attempt to
>      return valid results, but the behavior may be non-deterministic.
>    * No distributed idf (see
> ) (Also see for some new
> on this feature.)
>    * Doesn't support QueryElevationComponent
>    * The index could change between stages, e.g. a document that matched a

>      query and was subsequently changed may no longer match but will still

Would help to learn if someone has implemented something similar in their
environment and how it perfomed.