lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <erik.hatc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: velocity response writer breaks portability
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 17:29:19 GMT

On Jun 17, 2010, at 1:07 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : I'm confused by that comment about XSLT.  How would using XSLT
> client-side be
> : any more sure that the handlers are exposing everything?   All ya
> gotta do
> : when using VrW is flip to wt=xml and you can then see everything
> used to
>
> I'm horribly un-informed about Velocity and the VrW, but my
> recollection
> from a previous discussion about this idea (i thought it was on
> list, but
> it might have been an offline discussion at apachecon or a meetup) was
> that since the Velocity engine runs in the ServletContext, a template
> could use direct object refrences to access data that wouldn't be
> available to remote clients parsing the xml or json output -- ie: a
> well
> intentioned but lazily written patch might get committed that uses a
> refrence to the SolrCore to get access to some data directly in a
> velocity template, rather then the more general solution of updating
> hte
> appropriate request handler to add that data to the
> SolrQueryResponse so
> that all response writers return that data.

and just an addendum here... of course the current admin JSPs have the
same "issue" (err, power).  They can, and do, reference objects across
all of Solr's spectrum.

In a Velocity template, one would have to go a little out of their way
to reference objects accessed from the solr response or request
objects, so I don't think it's a problem here, but perhaps just an
issue to be aware of when crafting admin Velocity templates down the
road.

	Erik