lucene-dev mailing list archives

From John Wang <john.w...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Scorer api change
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2010 06:11:14 GMT
re: "The compiler does make optimizations and inlines such code/calls if it
can"

Are you really sure of this in THIS case? Can you elaborate WHEN such inline
optimizations happen and how it applies here?

This sounds to me like a very vague and irresponsible statement.

Many java literature do not support this statement. There are reasons why in
this case this cannot be inlined.

re: method call overhead:

This is a small penalty for each hit candidate, which means possiblly
millions of times per given query, it ADDS UP! This is why some core
committers like Yonik/Mike code tunes on the level for removing branching
and assignments.

Whether the method call overhead is insignificant or not is subjective. e.g.
if your corpus size is small, or expected recall size is small, it is not a
big deal, and it IS insignificant. But not true in general.

Arguing one way or other as a general statement without support can seem
irresponsible and pompous. It does not matter what you or I think if it is
an overhead or not, I would try to keep the discussion on the technical
aspects.

B.T.W.: Have you done much performance work before?

"code that will 99.99999999% of the times won't be called at all" <- Are you
saying you know how Lucene is used in all cases? Did you take a poll or
something? ;)

I would gladly accept this being too much of an api change for now, and the
point Earwin raised is quite valid. This was meant to be a proposal to get
some constructive discussions going. Clearly it is not happening...

-John

2010/6/8 Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com>

> [...]
>
> I don't think the method call is an overhead John. You don't need to
> reiterate it. The compiler does make optimizations and inlines such
> code/calls if it can. More than that, the query processing involves so much
> method calls, that I do think that's insignificant.
>
> And my last sentence is related to Earwin's thoughts -- it's insignificant
> compared to writing complicated code which needs to support arbitrary doc
> scoring - code that will 99.99999999% of the times won't be called at all,
> yet we'll need to go through hoola hoops to support it in all Lucene Scorers
> and custom ones (outside Lucene). So whatever overhead you claim the
> delegate call adds to the search, I think it's insignificant if in order to
> avoid it we need to break the API and introduce more complicated code.
>
> One complication is preparing for a case where someone asks to score a doc
> id N, when all Scorers are at doc id N+1 (or further). How do you do that?
> restart? What if the Scorers don't agree on doc id N at all? What will be
> the score then?
>
> When you ask Scorer.score(), you know it does so on the current doc id,
> which all sub scorers agreed on. It is a 'match'. I like Earwin's analogy to
> matcher (though I'm not familiar with MG4J) -- it's like the Java Matcher.
> You ask a Pattern to match something, and receive a Matcher, on which you
> can do what you want. You don't ask the Pattern to get you the next match,
> and then ask it again to do something with it ... not sure if my analogy is
> 1:1 with the proposed change, but I feel that the proposed change decouples
> matching and scoring unnecessarily.
>
> Shai
>

> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Earwin Burrfoot <earwin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Some people don't do IO while searching at all. When you're over
>> certain qps/index size threshold, you need less nodes to keep all your
>> index (or its hot parts) in memory, than to keep combined IO subsystem
>> throughput high enough to satisfy disc-based search demands.
>>
>> 2010/6/9 Doron Cohen <cdoronc@gmail.com>:
>> > I too tend to ignore the overhead of delegated calls, especially
>> comparing
>> > to all other IO ops and computations done by the stack of scorers, but
>> > accepting that you cannot ignore it, could you achieve the same goal by
>> > sub-classing the top query where you subclass its weight to return a
>> > sub-class of its scorer which would only override score() but not the
>> other
>> > methods, and in score would apply that eg decay logic? This way no
>> > delegation is required for the other methods. A disadvantage of this is
>> that
>> > you would need subclass like this any kind of top level query that might
>> > come up in your app - so not sure if this is really acceptable in your
>> case.
>> > Another disadvantage is that this is a much more complicated code to

CustomScoreQuery
>> where
This can be

>> anyway. I