lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan McKinley <ryan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [spatial] Rethinking Cartesian Tiers implementation
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:14:01 GMT

> This approach has, I believe, some significant advantages, especially if one can do a
good job determining the best fit, as it can significantly reduce the number of terms that
need to be iterated and it also collapses lat/lon into a single field which also helps improve
search times.  The downside is it often takes up more index space due to the many zoom levels.

> Does this match up with other people's understanding?

Yes, this is a good summary of the approach (as I understand it)

However, 2^n tiles is not a requirement, just the approach taken.
MGRS breaks the world based on UTM zones with sizes 100M, 10M 1M etc.
and everything you describe would work with this encoding.

ryan