lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan McKinley <>
Subject Re: [spatial] Rethinking Cartesian Tiers implementation
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2010 13:40:06 GMT
> Here's my proposal:
> 1. I'll finish up SOLR-1568, which has a few useful things that are added to contrib/spatial
in the way of distance utils.
> 2. We deprecate contrib/spatial in 3.x.

I think this is reasonable -- if there is not anyone to support it, i
don't think it makes sense to keep around.  As long as it is in the
3.x branch, it can be resurrected where necessary

> 3. You start fresh with your stuff in modules/spatial on trunk and take the geohash stuff
and the utilities I added.
> The nice thing about this approach is you can get started now and we won't effect each
other's work and I will no longer be holding you up.

As we think about how the tier approach should work, it seems useful
to look at something like MGRS:

This is a similar boxid naming convention, but has exceptions for the
poles.  It has the benefit that we could delegate to proj.4 (or
similar) for the calculations and the tokens would have a meaningful
use (in some context).

It might not make sense to use exactly as is since the northing and
easting are encoded sequentially -- for a range query it may make
sense to munge them together as it is currently implemented.

I hope to have more time to look into this, with luck I will -- but I
have been told that "hope" is just delayed disappointment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message