lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doron Cohen <cdor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Scorer api change
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 21:22:32 GMT
I too tend to ignore the overhead of delegated calls, especially comparing
to all other IO ops and computations done by the stack of scorers, but
accepting that you cannot ignore it, could you achieve the same goal by
sub-classing the top query where you subclass its weight to return a
sub-class of its scorer which would only override score() but not the other
methods, and in score would apply that eg decay logic? This way no
delegation is required for the other methods. A disadvantage of this is that
you would need subclass like this any kind of top level query that might
come up in your app - so not sure if this is really acceptable in your case.
Another disadvantage is that this is a much more complicated code to write.

Doron

2010/6/8 John Wang <john.wang@gmail.com>

> Wouldn't you get it as well with proposed api?
> You would still be able to iterate the doc and at that point call score
> with the docid. If you call score() along with iteration, you would still
> get the information no?
> Making scorer take a docid allows you score any docid in the reader if the
> query wants it to. Wouldn't it make it more flexible?
>
> -John
>

> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Earwin Burrfoot <earwin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> To compute a score you have to see which of your subqueries did not
>> match, which did, and what are the docfreqs/positions for them.
>> When iterating, and calling score() only for current doc - parts of
>> this data (maybe even all of it, not sure) is already gathered for
>> you. If you allow calling score(int doc) - for arbitrary docId, you'll
>> have to redo this work.
>>
>> 2010/6/8 John Wang <john.wang@gmail.com>:
>> > Hi Earwin:
>> >
>> >      I am not sure I understand here, e.g. what si the difference
>> between:
>> >
>> >      float myscorinCode(){
>> >          computeMyScore(scorer.score());
>> >      }
>> >
>> >      and
>> >
>> >       float myscorinCode(){
>> >
>> computeMyScore(scorer.score(scorer.getDocIdSetIterator().docID());
>> >       }
>> >
>> >       In the case of BQ, when you get a hit, would you still be able to
>> call
>> > subscorer.score(hit)? Why is the point of iteration important for BQ?
>> >
>> >       please elaborate.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > -John

>> calling