lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Misc topic about FreeMind and the SOLR query syntax....
Date Thu, 24 Jun 2010 00:41:08 GMT
A somewhat OT post,  but I'm sure this'll reach folks who can render an
opinion whether this is worthwhile...

It's been baffling looking at the SOLR user's list and seeing various forms
of querying SOLR. I've sometimes wondered "where in heck did *that* come
from", and I've been trying to figure out a way to collect all the
possibilities into a coherent, easily-navigable format.

So I've been looking at FreeMind (
http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page) trying to create a
handy reference for "all things SOLR query related" for myself. This
interests me keenly, it's a very interesting way to look at data.

I have a *very *preliminary "mindmap" that I'd be happy to provide anyone
interested (we'll see if the attachment comes through), and wondered if
others thought it provided value. Currently, anything with a red arrow links
to the relevant Wiki page. See timeAllowed for a note which is a free-form
text field.

I've barely begun exploring the capabilities of FreeMind, so you are warned
<G>. I'm wondering what opinions y'all have on this way of organizing data.
Even in this preliminary format, I'm finding it useful. It could be included
on the Wiki somewhere.

Of course all this information is available on the Wiki, I'm linking to it
after all. But you have to be aware that you can look in the first place. It
seems to me that the weakness of Wiki's is that they're searchable, but that
doesn't necessarily mean they're *organized.*..

Let me know
Erick