lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <>
Subject Re: velocity response writer breaks portability
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:55:44 GMT

On Jun 16, 2010, at 4:51 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : > +0 ... i'd prefer to keep the solr.war as lite as possible, with
> as few
> : > dependencies as possible -- so alowing for lazy loaded respose
> writers
> : > seems like a better choice to me -- but i recognize that there are
> : > size/feature trade offs.
> :
> : There are advantages though - being able to replace the JSP pages
> with
> : something more malleable and potentially overridable.   And it's
> really not
> : that heavy weight.
> absolutely -- there are always trade offs, hence i am not opposed
> (although to repeat an early comment from jira: i'd still rather move
> towards the Admin UI being impled entirely with request handler XML
> response and browser side XSLT then with velocity -- that way we can
> be
> *sure* that our request handlers are exposing *everything* needed to
> power
> the admin UI, so it's all available programaticly as well)

I'm confused by that comment about XSLT.  How would using XSLT client-
side be any more sure that the handlers are exposing everything?   All
ya gotta do when using VrW is flip to wt=xml and you can then see
everything used to generate the view.  The same HTML would come out
either way.  With XSLT, a plugin couldn't bring in it's own .xsl file
for the client to use (at least not currently, no way to serve a file
from a JAR).  With Velocity, .vm files can live in a JAR in <solr-
home>/lib (or anywhere thanks to your <lib> stuff).

And besides, poking a stick in one's eye is a fair bit more pleasant
than writing/maintaining XSLT.  ick!  (and yes, I've done so
professionally for a couple of jobs so I'm speaking from my experiences)

But moving forward, since you're not objecting and no one else has,
here's a JIRA issue with svn mv commands and a patch file that moves
VrW to core along with a nice new search UI, full featured with
faceting, highlighting, spell checking, and sticky enable/disable
debug mode.  Let me know what you think.  I'll commit in a day or so.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message