lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <erik.hatc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: velocity response writer breaks portability
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2010 20:40:47 GMT

On Jun 16, 2010, at 4:23 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : It's always been my intention to move VrW to Solr core.  Any
> objections to
> : that?
> : And in response to rmuir's question - it definitely makes for a
> good demo of
> : Solr, though I don't think it is the right demo of low-level
> Lucene usage.
> : But I'm all for VrW becoming more of a first class citizen.
> : Everyone ok with VrW moving to Solr core?  I'll take care of it if
> desired.
>
> +0 ... i'd prefer to keep the solr.war as lite as possible, with as
> few
> dependencies as possible -- so alowing for lazy loaded respose writers
> seems like a better choice to me -- but i recognize that there are
> size/feature trade offs.

There are advantages though - being able to replace the JSP pages with
something more malleable and potentially overridable.   And it's
really not that heavy weight.

DIH is one of those contribs that injects itself in for UI purposes,
and that's kinda ugly.  I think with VrW in core we could extract that
and plugins could have their own UI in the JAR files (or file system).

	Erik