lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Edward Drapkin <edwa...@wolfram.com>
Subject Synchronized blocks?
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 02:37:52 GMT
Hello all,

I've been getting more acquainted with the source for lucene lately and
have noticed that all contention points (that I've seen) are handled by
synchronized blocks.

Since Lucene now requires Java 5, my question is this: is there any
compelling reason to not dig through the code and replace uses of
synchronized with ReentrantReadWriteLocks, especially as the performance
of that locking mechanism (where behavior is the same) is much better in
Java 5? While the sheer throughput difference in Java 6 may be lower,
the ability to have multiple concurrent readers without contention ought
to yield across the board performance improvements of some significance.

As I am digging through (most of) the code anyway, I would have no
problem doing this myself and "upgrading" the locking mechanisms
everywhere, but seeing as it is an enormous venture, I wanted to make
sure that it would be okay to do before investing the time and that an
enormous patch wouldn't immediately be rejected.  Also, if this is okay
to do, how should I present the patch?  I would think that an enormous
patch touching dozens (if not well over a hundred?) of files isn't
preferable at all, but I can do that too!

Thanks,
Eddie