lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <erik.hatc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: velocity response writer breaks portability
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:11:49 GMT
For some reason I didn't get Yonik's original message today, but I
spotted elsewhere -

> In solr 3x, the velocity response writer was added to the example
> config.
> Unfortunately, this breaks the ability to move the "example" server
> somewhere else and have it work.
>
> Here are some options to fix this off the top of my head:
> a) comment out velocity / move it out of the example
> b) move the needed velocity jars inside the solr war or the example
> lib
> c) make a missing response writer not a critical error
> d) implement lazy response writers like we do lazy request handlers so
> that there is only an error if use is attempted
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Yonik

Why is Velocity any different than clustering or Solr Cell in this
regard?  Doesn't moving the example directory affect them too?
It's always been my intention to move VrW to Solr core.  Any
objections to that?
And in response to rmuir's question - it definitely makes for a good
demo of Solr, though I don't think it is the right demo of low-level
Lucene usage.  But I'm all for VrW becoming more of a first class
citizen.
Everyone ok with VrW moving to Solr core?  I'll take care of it if
desired.
	Erik