lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Heretz <dher...@ebscohost.com>
Subject On update are index files only appended to?
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:41:07 GMT

Hi,

I have an index directory that I update daily via a process that invokes
IndexWriter.updateDocument(). The daily update will be mostly adds but some
changes to existing documents.

In this scenario, how are the index files modified? Is it the case that all
mods will be either the creation of new files or straight appends to
existing files? Or does the update modify existing parts of existing files,
i.e. sections of the files that were created the previous day.

Thanks!

Dennis