lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: Lucene 2.9.3 ? ( blocking Solr 1.4.1 ? ? ? )
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 20:30:34 GMT
Hi all,

I am quite fine with doing a 2.9.3 / 3.0.2 release as soon as possible, but
I don't like to force any reopened issues into this release. I have no
problem with doing this in parallel to the Solr 1.4.1 Release. I don't think
that it is a good idea, to now reopen a lot of issues, just to get them into
2.9.3 / 3.0.2:

My idea was, to release the current branches as the artifacts for this
release. Both branches are stable and contain very qualitative branches.
They contain very stable patches and a release should be very unproblematic.
The testsuites pass easy and I have no problem to create artifacts out of
it. Based on this I said, that I would do the release manager again. I have
the scripts for the parallel releases upto date and it's easy for me to
build the release artifacts quickly using JDK 1.5.0_22.

But now starting to forcefully back port issues is not a good idea, so I
would like to freeze the branches soon and reject patches to go in. I would
like to also vote against too late patches to go into these branches. Mike
did hard work to get lots of recent memory problems in the indexer that were
fixed in 3x and trunk branch. But we should not add patches from the late
developments and for sure no analyzer changes (it's impossible, because we
cannot change analyzers because they would change index format. Robert told
me that he does not want to back port any changes here). Next week is
buzzwords. I would like to start the RC1 shortly after the buzzwords. Simon,
Grant and Robert and me will hopefully have fruitful discussions about it,
but I think we should come to an end very soon.

So I suggest the following timeline:
I may accept backports in the branches until Thursday evening, so I can
start to review the branch on Friday. During Buzzwords, we should not commit
anything and maybe everybody tests the branch and its changes in Solr and
his own installations. If you like I could create pre-artifacts (like a
Hudson build) on Friday) or maybe RC1. I will also merge changes.txt files
accorss 2.9, 3.0, 3.x and trunk on Friday. After that I don't want to accept
any more changes and declare "freeze" on 2.9 and 3.0 branch.

Mark, Hoss: Would it be possible to start the release process of Solr
together with Lucene's RCs. Would it be possible to *replace" the final
Lucene artifacts and build the Solr Atifacts together using my builds. So we
would not block each other and maybe we can release on the same day. This
would be a good start for future combines Solucene releases :-)

Any comments?

Thanks for all the work.
-----
Uwe Schindler