lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: BytesRef comparable
Date Mon, 03 May 2010 12:55:47 GMT
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Michael McCandless
<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> The problem is BytesRef is not really a concrete object.  It can't
> know how the terms it's representing are supposed to sort.
> Yet nearly all the time this sort will be lucene's default term sort
> (only custom codecs can change this), so I'm +1 on making BytesRef
> sort according to that (note that this is not actually natural byte[]
> order, because we must interp the UTF8 bytes as unsigned to sort in
> unicode code point order).

I thought we were going to be changing lucene's index order to the
natural byte order (same as the unicode code point order)?

Solr's BoundedTreeSet doesn't take a comparator.  I could change it so
that it could of course... but it just seemed natural to "fix"
BytesRef.

-Yonik
Apache Lucene Eurocon 2010
18-21 May 2010 | Prague