lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <>
Subject Re: Incremental Field Updates
Date Tue, 11 May 2010 19:40:45 GMT

On May 11, 2010, at 12:26 AM, Shai Erera wrote:

> but because of the cost of preparing the inputs (i.e. text
> extraction) to Lucene.
> You're right ! That and also the cost of fetching the document, in systems where the
content lives on other servers/systems. Reindexing is usually (depends on your analysis chain)
the cheapest step.

Depends on the type of application, though, I suppose.  Many times the thing being updated
is just a number, like a rating/price/inventory as well, in which case there is very little
analysis.  Of course, it raises an interesting point, what are the implications for numeric

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message