lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: ReadTask and its hierarchy needs some house cleaning
Date Tue, 18 May 2010 10:20:11 GMT
I agree we should do some house cleaning here...

Can't we make "warm", "search", "trav" separate tasks?

In fact what is now done by "warm" (just calling .document on all
non-deleted docs) is not usually how warming is done.  I would rather
rename this to a "LoadAllDocsTask".  We could add other specific
warming tasks -- say PopulateFieldCacheTask.  But... typical warming
is just to run certain targeted searches on the newly opened reader.
I don't think the Search task should have any notion of warming
itself.

I think "trav" should be renamed to something like "VisitHitsTask",
and it can take options like "number of hits to visit", "load Document
or not", "run highlighter or not", etc.  Really... ideally, these
would be separate tasks as well, and the alg would let me, say,
iterate over N hits, invoking the per-hit tasks that I'd like to do
for each.

Mike