lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ReadTask and its hierarchy needs some house cleaning
Date Tue, 18 May 2010 07:43:40 GMT
Yes, such algorithms will be affected, but not necessarily deleted. So if a
WarmReader task is required, one can write it, but it doesn't need to extend
SearchTask, or it can, but hard-code all the other properties to false.
Though in most cases you can run SearchTask, w/ warm set to true and after
warm has been done, queries will be executed.

The other search lines look like they can be rewritten w/ rounds?

Anyway, this shows a perfect example for my argument: Search, SearchTrav and
SearchTravRet only differ by their config options, yet an entire class had
to be created.

If such sequence Search tasks is so crucial to be allowed, we can have
SearchTask accept parameters, like Search(trav=false,warm=true) etc. in
addition to the static .alg ones. I think personally it's an overkill, but
could be a nice addition. It will definitely allow the above tasks to run in
sequence, right?

Point is, if you have 6 attributes, you don't need to create 64 classes in
order to execute any combination you may need.

Shai