lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Babak Farhang <farh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incremental Field Updates
Date Wed, 12 May 2010 09:27:44 GMT
> Of course, it raises an interesting point, what are the implications for numeric fields?

Not sure whether you're referring to the general or the specific, but
with the approach Shai is proposing, if the numeric fields are indexed
using the new trie structures, then it would be important to properly
remove the postings for the old value (I imagine range queries would
break o.w.). Again, that could be achieved by having the update API
take the old value as well as the new one.

-Babak

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> On May 11, 2010, at 12:26 AM, Shai Erera wrote:
>
>> but because of the cost of preparing the inputs (i.e. text
>> extraction) to Lucene.
>>
>> You're right ! That and also the cost of fetching the document, in systems where
the content lives on other servers/systems. Reindexing is usually (depends on your analysis
chain) the cheapest step.

> Depends on the type of application, though, I suppose.  Many times the thing being updated
is just a number, like a rating/price/inventory as well, in which case there is very little
analysis.  Of course, it raises an interesting point, what are the implications for numeric
fields?