lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incremental Field Updates
Date Sun, 09 May 2010 06:49:55 GMT
No, actually, you can update index-only fields also. It all depends on the
operation that you ask to do on the fields. For example, if the query to
execute is something like "update all documents w/ tags:ibm -> remove terms
t1, t2, t3 and add terms t4, t5", then the result of such request would
dissociate t1-3 from those docs that answer tags:ibm and associate them w/
t4 and t5. Specifically, if docs 1, 4, 10 answer tags:ibm, then the
following posting updates will be done:
t1: -1, -4, -10
t2: -1, -4, -10
t3: -1, -4, -10
t4, 1, 4, 10
t5, 1, 4, 10
(in addition to whatever other updates that are associated with those
postings).

At search time, if you search for "t1 OR t2", then the regular t1 and t2
postings will be merged on-the-fly w/ the updated ones to remove docs 1, 4,
10.

If you want to e.g. remove an entire field w/ such update operation, then it
becomes more expensive, but in general you'd need to iterate over the
field's terms and dissociate the documents from all the terms. We didn't
face such a scenario though, and I think it's probably a rare one?

Shai

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Babak Farhang <farhang@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > 2) Or even comment them,
> > I think Google offers the 2nd. Both translate into updating the search
> > result's already indexed document w/ the new rating, comment etc. w/o
> > needing to reindex the document.
> >
> > I will try to find perf results numbers. It's been long time ago, hope
> all
> > the documents are still where they were :). Indeed, for terms like ACLs,
> it
> > means that each query had to merge dozens of postings lists. For that I
> > implemented an alternative solution, which uses a payload-like structure
> > that registers for each document the list of ACLs that are associated
> with
> > it (not as strings, it was more efficient). Then, if the query included
> > dozens of such terms, I created a filter-like object which for every
> > matching document by the query checked if it matches the ACLs list of the
> > document. This is usually slower, because the ACLs themselves don't drive
> > the query, which means more matches will be found. That was a tradeoff
> which
> > one could configure based on the number of such terms in the query, the
> > number of updated terms etc.
> >
> > But in essence you're right - if the solution is generic to cover any
> term,
> > we cannot use such payload-based feature. We might need to merge the
> stacked
> > segments more frequently. This is pending perf testing though.
> >
> > Shai
> >
> > On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Michael McCandless
> > <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Catching up here :)
> >>
> >> This is great stuff Shai -- I like the notion of "negative" postings,
> >> that "subtract" docs from previous generations as you iterate them.
> >>
> >> And I like the term "stacked segments".  This fits very well with
> >> Lucene's write-once approach, ie, a writer can at any time stack a new
> >> segment (writes to new files) "over" an old segment, like the layers
> >> in photoshop.  A reader merges all stacks on-the-fly when reading.
> >>
> >> And the merge policy now picks from 2 dimensions right?  Ie it may
> >> want to simply consolidate stacks on an old segment but otherwise not
> >> merge that segment (eg for very large segments that have accumulated
> >> updates), and normal merging would of course consolidate all stacks
> >> for all segments merged.
> >>
> >> Wouldn't this approach conceivably allow you to alter single terms
> >> within a single field (we'd have to figure out how we'd expose the API
> >> for this)?  EG if I appended some text to an already-indexed field?
> >> (In addition to adding a new field to an already indexed doc, or
> >> replacing an indexed field on a previously indexed doc).
> >>
> >> Did you have any hard perf numbers?  Merge sorting N streams is
> >> surprisingly costly... we may need/want to have a reader pre-merge
> >> (using up RAM) any "long tail" of stacked segments as long as they are

The
> "ibm",
> include
> the