lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Incremental Field Updates
Date Wed, 12 May 2010 09:55:33 GMT
I think this would work perfectly fine w/ Shai's approach...

To Lucene a NumericField is just a series of terms w/ no positions indexed.

So when a value is changed, we'd get a new series of terms, do the
delta, and then subtract & add accordingly in the stacked segments.

Mike

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 5:27 AM, Babak Farhang <farhang@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Of course, it raises an interesting point, what are the implications for numeric
fields?

> Not sure whether you're referring to the general or the specific, but
> with the approach Shai is proposing, if the numeric fields are indexed
> using the new trie structures, then it would be important to properly
> remove the postings for the old value (I imagine range queries would
> break o.w.). Again, that could be achieved by having the update API
> take the old value as well as the new one.
>
> -Babak
>
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On May 11, 2010, at 12:26 AM, Shai Erera wrote:
>>
>>> but because of the cost of preparing the inputs (i.e. text
>>> extraction) to Lucene.
>>>
>>> You're right ! That and also the cost of fetching the document, in systems where
the content lives on other servers/systems. Reindexing is usually (depends on your analysis
chain) the cheapest step.

>> Depends on the type of application, though, I suppose.  Many times the thing being
updated is just a number, like a rating/price/inventory as well, in which case there is very
little analysis.  Of course, it raises an interesting point, what are the implications for
numeric fields?