lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Itamar Syn-Hershko" <ita...@code972.com>
Subject RE: Adding CLucene as a Lucene subproject
Date Mon, 31 May 2010 09:49:00 GMT
Hi,

Have the PMC came to a decision on this?

Thanks.

Itamar.

-----Original Message-----
From: Grant Ingersoll [mailto:gsiasf@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Grant Ingersoll
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2010 3:30 PM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Adding CLucene as a Lucene subproject

Hi Itamar,

The PMC is discussing this internally.   It is pretty clear at this point
that CLucene needs to go through Incubation, so by all means start the
process there (see http://incubator.apache.org).  Also, keep in mind, that
many things have changed for Lucene in regards to subprojects in recent
months, so despite the fact that we have other "ports" under Lucene right
now due to legacy reasons, it doesn't imply that adding another would be
good for this particular TLP.  That isn't to say that CLucene doesn't have a
place at the ASF.  Generally speaking, the ASF does not want "umbrella"
projects covering disjoint communities b/c it often leads to unnecessary
bureaucratic problems at the PMC level related to things like voting,
releases, project direction, etc.

At any rate, we should be wrapping up our PMC discussion by tomorrow, so I
will update this thread at that time.

Thanks,
Grant